March 17, 2015

Bantam Oilers skate to a third place finish at State

By Neal A. Shipman
Farmer Editor

With an 8-5 win over the Fargo Freeze Maroon team, the Watford City Oilers Bantams took third place at the State B Silver Bantam Tournament in Valley City this past weekend.
The Oilers opened the tournament beating the Fargo Freeze Maroon team, 6-2, in pool play.
The Oilers trailed Fargo, 1-0, before Brett Skarda started the scoring for the Oilers going top-shelf on the Freeze’s goalie with an assist from Dylan Thomas. But less than a minute later, the Freeze regained the lead, 2-1.
Fox Dodds would tie the game, 2-2, with assists from Austin Johnson and Jackson Dodds. Watford City would then rattle off the next four goals to take the win.
Thomas scored the eventual game-winning goal on an assist from Johnson.  Team Captain Jackson Voll, Fox Dodds, and Skarda each added insurance goals.
Johnson ended the game with four assists, earning himself a Playmaker award.
Rylee Kirkland was solid in the net for the Oilers as he didn’t allow any goals after the first period, turning away 17 Freeze shots.
But according to Wyatt Voll, Oilers’ coach, the Bantams suffered a tough blow in this victory losing Fox Dodds to an injury for the rest of the tournament.
In the second game of the day, and the final game of pool play, the Oilers took on host team Jamestown/Valley City Prowl.
The Oilers defeated the Prowl, 11-0, with hat tricks from Tyler Cannavo, Jackson Dodds, and Darien Dunn, while Cooper Berquist finished off the scoring for Watford City with a two-goal performance.
Defenseman Travis Tepsa earned the Playmaker award for the Oilers with three assists.
Kirkland wasn’t tested often by the Prowl, but saved all six shots he faced, earning himself a Zero award.
In Saturday’s semifinal game on Saturday, the Oilers faced league rival, the Bismarck Capitals. The Oilers had defeated the Capitals in both prior matchups this year, but were not able to make it three in a row.
The Capitals defeated the Oilers, 6-2. Jackson Dodds would get Watford City on the scoreboard on assists from Berquist and Skarda, while Jackson Voll would score the final goal on assists from linemates Dodds and Berquist.
In the battle for third place, the Oilers took on the Fargo Freeze Maroon once again with Watford City coming away with a tough, 8-5,win.
Jackson Dodds started off the scoring for the Oilers with assists from Johnson and Skarda. The Freeze would answer back before Dodds scored again to put the Oilers up, 2-1.
Voll and Dunn each added a goal to end the first period with the Oilers leading, 4-1.
Johnson opened the scoring in the second period with a goal on an assist by Dunn. But, the Freeze were able to sneak another goal past Kirkland to cut the Oilers’ lead to 5-2.
Berquist finished off the scoring in the second period with the eventual game-winning goal on assists from Dodds and Voll to put the Oilers on top, 6-2.
The Freeze, however, were not done scoring yet as Fargo scored two goals in the first minute of the third period. But once again, the Oilers would answer with goals by Voll and Dunn to secure the 8-5 Watford City win.
Defenseman Skarda earned the Playmaker award with three assists. Kirkland had 11 saves in the game and ended the tournament with 53 saves in the net for Watford City.