December 22, 2015

Wolves down New Town for first win of the season

By Neal A. Shipman
Farmer Editor

After dropping their first two games of the season, the Watford City varsity boys basketball team picked up its first win as the Wolves defeated the New Town Eagles, 88-83, to open their home season.
The Wolves, who are now 1-2 on the season, will not return to the court until Jan. 2, when they travel to Bowman.

Minot Ryan 78, Watford City 32
Plagued by turnovers and a lack of offense, Watford City took it on the chin as the Wolves fell to Minot Ryan, 78-32, on Dec. 15.
The Wolves trailed the Lions, 23-6, at the end of the first quarter, and by 23 points, 41-18, at halftime.
“Korbin Knutson was the bright spot for us against Minot Ryan,” stated Randy Cranston, Wolves’ head coach. “He played tough on both sides of the floor.”
Seth Indergard and Knutson led the Wolves in scoring with 12 and 10 points, respectively.
Watford City’s offense continued to struggle in the second half as the Wolves were only able to muster four points in the third quarter, and were then outscored 15-10 in the final eight minutes.
“The only other positive in our game against Minot Ryan is the fact that we were able to give a lot of our young guys playing time,” stated Cranston.
Rounding out Watford City’s scoring was Matt Neprash and Logan Mehlhoff with four points each and Kason Hartel with two points.
Watford City    6    18    22    32
Minot Ryan    23    41    63    78

Watford City 88, New Town 83
Watford City picked up its first win of the season on Thursday evening as the Wolves knocked off New Town, 88-83. And not only was the win a big emotional boost to the young team, it was also a key District 15 win.
“We looked like a whole different team against the New Town Eagles,” stated Cranston. “We scored, took better care of the ball, and played better overall defense despite giving up 83 points.”
Watford City scored first in the hard-fought game, but ended up trailing the Eagles, 17-15, at the end of the first quarter.
With four players scoring in double figures, the Wolves were able to regain the lead, 40-36, at halftime and then build a 14-point lead, 67-53, at the end of three quarters of play.
But New Town would rally in the fourth quarter with Watford City holding on to take the win.
Seth Indergard paced the Wolves in scoring with 24 points, while Korbin Knutson netted 15 points. Also scoring in double figures for Watford City was Jarek Hogue and Kason Hartel with 13 and 12 points, respectively.
“We played well and with intensity which is what we have been preaching from day one,” stated Cranston.
Rounding out the scoring for Watford City was Jessen Homiston with eight points, Logan Mehlhoff with seven points, Jaydn Ewing with four points, Hunter Neether with three points and Carter Zenz with two points.
For the game, the Wolves connected on 32 of 54 attempts from the field, and made two three-pointers.
Watford City    15    40    67    88
New Town        17    36    53    83