February 23, 2016

Wolves drop final 3 cage games

By Neal A. Shipman
Farmer Editor

Watford City’s varsity boys basketball team dropped their final three games of the 2015-16 regular season as the Wolves fell to Parshall, Killdeer and Dickinson Trinity.
The Wolves, who have a 4-15 season record, will now be competing in the District 15 Tournament, which begins on Friday, Feb. 26, at New Town’s Northern Lights Gymnasium. Watford City’s first action in the tournament will be at 7 p.m. on Friday when the Wolves, who are the No. 3-seeded team in the tournament, take on the White Shield Warriors.

Parshall 57, Watford City 52
Watford City gave Parshall everything the Braves could handle on Tuesday night as the Wolves played their first game in the new Watford City High School gymnasium.
In a hard-fought game from start to finish, Watford City trailed the
Braves by four points, cutting their deficit to just one point, 26-25, at halftime.
The Braves, who are the No. 1 seed in the upcoming District 15 Tournament, turned up the heat in the third quarter as Parshall went on an 18-9 scoring spree, to build their lead to 10 points, 44-34, at the end of the quarter.
But Watford City would very nearly pull off their biggest upset of the season as they chipped away at Parshall’s lead. The Wolves trailed the Braves by just one point twice in the fourth quarter, but Parshall would never relinquish the lead.
Seth Indergard had his best offensive game of the season for the Wolves as he netted 26 points to lead both teams in scoring, while Jarek Hogue netted 10 points in the losing effort.
Rounding out the scoring for Watford City was Jaydn Ewing with eight points, Korbin Knutson with six points, while Hunter Neether ended the game with two points.
Watford City     9    25    34    52
Parshall           13    26    44    57

Killdeer 50, Watford City 44
A dismal offensive effort by Watford City in the first quarter gave Killdeer the lead that the Cowboys needed to defeat the Wolves, 50-44, last Thursday evening.
Killdeer jumped out to an 11-5 first quarter lead, and that six points proved to be the deciding factor in the game.
While Watford City was able to draw to within a one-point deficit, 23-22, at halftime and trail the Cowboys by a single point, 35-34, after three quarters of play, the Wolves couldn’t get the job done in the final stanza of play.
“It was a back and forth game in which we did some good things and took a step in the right direction,” stated Randy Cranston, Wolves’ head coach. “But, we just didn’t make plays down the stretch which led to a Killdeer victory.”
Injuries to three Watford City starters also contributed to the Wolves’ loss. But according to Cranston, it gave some of his younger players an opportunity to gain valuable playing time as the team prepares for the upcoming district and region tournaments.
Seth Indergard paced the Wolves in scoring with 13 points, while Jarek Hogue and Jaydn Ewing netted eight points each.
Rounding out the scoring for Watford City was Kason Hartel with six points, Jessen Homiston with five points and Hunter Neether with four points.
Watford City     6    22    34    44
Killdeer            11    23    35    50

Dickinson Trinity 64, Watford City 30
Dickinson Trinity held Watford City to single-digit scoring in the first three quarters of play as the Wolves fell to the Titans, 64-30, to close out their regular season action on Saturday afternoon.
The Titans posted a 15-7 first quarter lead and then never looked back as Dickinson Trinity led Watford City 34-10 at halftime and by 37 points, 54-17, after three quarters of play.
Seth Indergard and Jayden Ewing paced Watford City in scoring with nine points each, while Cole McGorman netted eight points in the loss.
Also scoring for the Wolves was Matt Neprash with three points and and Jarek Hogue with one point.
Watford City      7    10    17    30
Dick. Trinity     15    34    54    64